Friday, October 12, 2007

My Precious "FIRST TIME" Experiences

If you think and recall your memories from the day you were born until now *perhaps you can't remember your toddler days=P*. It's amazing that everything that happened was related to one another. The day when you start understanding things and making important decisions will be coming back again. In fact, our life is made up of a series of decisions; from deciding on small things like: the clothes you want to wear today or the food you want to eat for lunch to making major decisions like: the university you want to be enrolled to or the career option you want to choose. Our life is really about making decisions.

History does repeat itself. Besides making decisions along the way, we will also have many FIRST TIME experiences that can be memorable and painful at the same time. Something unexpected that happened in the past may start chasing you back again at this moment. If you want to dig deeper into your mind and soul one more time, you'll find that endless memories, desires, and passion that you thought have vanished are in fact never completely gone from you, they remain there unconsciously. They just wait for you to slowly realize it as you grow up and become more mature. In fact they will return to you again, when you least expected it. I have experienced these, so let me share with you my FIRST TIME and why I thought they are all coming back to me again now.

The FIRST TIME I had to make a major decision was 3 years ago, when I decided to continue my bachelor degree in NTU, Singapore. Well, back then I was prepared to be rejected by NTU after I did the entrance exam. I was so ready that I've looked up for other university and guess what course was I interested in doing back then? It was hotel and hospitality management in UPH (Pelita Harapan University). A totally different field compare to the one I'm doing right now in NTU (Mechanical Engineering). And now, guess what? That long lost, forgotten desire came back again. I'm thinking of changing my path, after being trained as an engineer for almost four years, I start to look for other field, not only hospitality but also banking field. I consider these two fields as the more "dynamic" field and somehow, I have this gut feeling that I'm more suitable in either one of these fields. My interest in languages and management has brought me back to where my mind and interest were three years ago. What an irony!! So whenever people ask, "Why did you study engineering then?" I'll simply answer them this,

"Oh it's because of my old passion and interest that have come back again to me. Nevertheless, these past three and a half years have been a wonderful experience. I've been trained to have analytical and problem solving skills. I never regret studying in Engineering and I will continue this fight for another 7 months. After that? Off I go, to the "unknown" world."

I have to make another major decision very shortly *I think in less than a year* I have various options at hand and still looking for opportunities in each field, no final decision yet 'cause I'm still confused *_* My interests: consumer banking, engineering (logistics and supply), business/career consultant, and hospitality (hotel). I need more time to decide, ok?

The FIRST TIME I had a crush :P was in elementary school, grade 6 if I remember correctly, to one of the guys in volleyball club. Since then I always had crushes with v-ball guys...very weird indeed! (There was one exception though and I will not elaborate on that=P. It has been ages, and it was the longest one-sided crush). Crush was a nice feeling but it won't be fun anymore if it becomes just a one-sided thing. I decided to hibernate and pause for a while *with no further notice* from this loveholic "disease" =P. I must own my life, yay!!

The FIRST TIME I worked with Americans was just last week, when I was one of the interns for Reverse Logistics Association Trade Shows in Le Meridien Hotel. It was a worth-skipping-classes experience. Americans compliment others openly and they're very straight-forward. I enjoyed working with them. Though I only helped out with small little things, they always said that they appreciated my help and said thank you many times. I appreciate this kind of attitude. When you're working, it's not only the financial reward that is important, but also the emotional reward. Btw, I wasn't paid as an intern in the conference, but I had invaluable experiences while I was there that can't be trade off with $$$. I can be in a REAL networking event with a lot of CEOs from various MNCs and all the other important people. It was a fun experience. I knew about this from my fyp supervisor. Oh yes, my fyp title is "Reverse Logistics Network: Modeling and Analysis" So I need to attend this kind of event (RLA trade show) in which I can get free membership of RLA, listen to a lot of presentations that are related to RL, obtain many references for my fyp and many more. It was very useful indeed. I am still learning how to use the simulation software to develop my model and reading tons of journals to gain more understanding. So, must study fervently and get things done!! 加油!!

The FIRST TIME I did my speech in Toastmaster Club was only last night. I joined TMC just this semester where in fact I've heard about the club since my 2nd year. I remembered one of my tutorial friends asked me to join the club. But I wasn't very interested at that time, you know, 1st and 2nd year, I had a different focus when choosing my ECA. It was all about points. Anyway, I finally did my first project. I am now very aware of my weaknesses and strengths while speaking in front of an audience. I can only depend on my confidence right now; I will improve my technical background and inspire more people with my speech. I had very good feedback yesterday as well as some constructive critics like: not to drag my feet while moving around, keep to the time limit, be concise, make a shorter and simpler speech, and etc. I still have a lot to improve. Girl! You can do it. Here's the link to my 1st, too long speech with the title
"Reach Your Goals"

The FIRST TIME I visited Europe was last 4 months (but I can still feel the air). I went to France for summer studies and got the chance to go to Rome, Vatican, Monaco, Venice, Innsbruck, Salzburg and Vienna. It was an amazing holiday with all my GSS friends. We still meet each other in some gatherings after GSS. I promise I'll post my daily journal while I was in France very very soon. I wrote it but I haven't posted any in here =P. 'Coz my stories are still jumbled up, need to re-organize many things.

The FIRST TIME I had a REAL interview for a permanent job was just THIS MORNING!!! Argh, I'm still in a shock state. I think I didn't say most of the things that I want to say, I didn't "sell" enough of my positive traits. But I still keep my fingers crossed here...let's take it as a good lesson and practice to do better in the future. It's only the 1st stage of Citibank's Management Associate Program recruitment process. Some of the interview questions were:

What are your strengths? What is your greatest achievement? Why did I choose mechanical engineering? Why do you want to go to consumer banking? What do you know about consumer banking?

Huff, tough questions indeed. I was sweating like hell inside but managed to appear confident outside. I don't know... I really don't know. I'll rate myself as a B- in terms of smartly answering the questions. I was more pressurized in this interview compare to any interview that I've gone through. *sweat sweat sweat*

So what do you think? There are already a lot of first times in the first 4 months of my final year. I'm excited about the things that await me for the next few months. Please let me enjoy all of them!

For now, those were my memorable "FIRST TIME" experiences.

Oh yes, this week is equally (even more) hectic than last week:

Monday: study for quiz, prepare speech, continue my report
Tuesday: study for quiz, prepare speech, rehearse presentation for Wednesday
Wednesday: lecture, quiz, presentation, cocktail session at Swissotel
Thursday: fyp meeting, rehearse speech, lectures, 1st speech until 10.30 pm
Friday: Interview (10.15 am), lectures, blogging, more things to do next week!!

That's all from me folks. This one is an extraordinarily long post. Pardon me!

With love and determination



Sien2
Keep on striving for excellence!

1 comment:

Shilv said...

haha,,ngapo banyak nean blog nyo,haha

dapopo..sip deh,,continue ur postings..

love'em!!


shil