Monday, October 15, 2007

Do Research before You Decide!

Hey, just want to share my experience yesterday when I was spending my whole Sunday for an Assessment Centre workshop *felt guilty for doing nothing yesterday but the workshop was good, highly recommended*.

I got a chance to participate actively in the workshop. Oh yes, for those who don't know what an Assessment Centre is. It is a series of assessment methods that employers like consultant groups and banks used to recruit their management trainee. There are group discussion, case study, role play and etc. This is meant for the employer to assess their candidates skills and find the right fit for the position. It was AGAIN another eye-opener (the 2nd after my attachment last year).

Frankly, bank has never become one of my career options *if you follow me*, but recently I started to consider it because of the future dynamic prospects and of course the $$$. The last two months, many banks have come to NTU to recruit the right candidates. They open the position for everyone, including those who don't have any idea about bank and how it works *including me;P* Of course there's no such thing as "free lunch", nothing ventured nothing gained. I know I can get good $$$ in banks, but the amount of work is crazy! Someone has to have the right mind and good intention before joining a bank, especially as management trainee. Yesterday, I heard that in investment banking, one can work from 7 am to 3 am, go back home and sleep for only 3-4 hrs before continue working again in the next day. I know that it's tough! but I don't know that it's that INSANE until I heard it myself.

However, after the assessment, I was not discouraged. I was challenged even more because I have to start thinking about filling my knowledge gap and do more RESEARCH about bank, know how it works and then ask myself again:

What makes me happy? What are the things that I REALLY like doing? Which one is more important to me after graduation: $$$ but almost no life or my life with less $$$? Will it be possible to achieve both?

I asked these questions to myself almost a hundred times, but I can't seem to make solid decision at the moment, not just yet...

All I know now is that I have to work hard and learn smartly, no matter where I go in the end: bank, hotel, engineer, tourism, anywhere. There's no easy job out there. Everything is tough. I think what matters to me is a rewarding career, rewarding in every aspect: physically, mentally and financially.

Haiyaaa, it's so complicated....i don't know, i'm confused...I'll do as much RESEARCH as I can to find out.

For now Sien...let's focus on doing your projects, exams and FYP ("final year project" and "finding your pa_____") *fill it yourself and it's not like what you think it is, ok?=P*

Voila, c'est tout.

Je t'embrasse,



Sien2

8 comments:

Unknown said...

yow.. huff.. guess.. just think thru and decide what's the best for yourself! don't bother much what people say about this and that, just believe in yourself!

Theresia said...

Hi lin xien, mind if i link ur blog?

Sien said...

Hemm, sure...link it if u want^_^ Hahaha...

suhu said...

FYP = finding your ... pain ?

Sien said...

Wahaha...pain? don't need to find, it's already there...

still not correct...hahaha...try again...=P

=P=P=P

Ben said...

FYP = finding your passion.. i guess.. :D

Btw, nice post :)

Sien said...

TING TONG....Correct!

100 pts for Benny. Great!!^_^

Thanks yaaa...

hohoho...

Andy Prima Kencana said...

Good thought...

For me there is a way to find a work which is "enjoyable" and you can earn more $$$.

Which is to work on your strength and your passion.

PS: Enjoyable = high challenge, but exciting