Friday, June 6, 2008

OFFICIALLY GRADUATED: My Way of Celebrating

Yihaaaa...*happy happy happy
Now, I can officially put B.Eng (Mech) with Honors behind my name:P

However, moment of truth here, frankly, I can't declare that I'm an engineer. Because after judging my own performance these past 4 years and the path I'm pursuing now, I am definitely not an engineer. Though I was able to have CLEAR PASSES on my transcript, I'm not too proud of them *but I'm grateful and satisfied with my results, don't get me wrong!

I wish they allow me to add one more title after that B.Eng (Mech).

Linsien Setiani Tan B.Eng (Mech)
with Minor in Languages (specialist: French Level 4, B1 DELF, Japanese JLPT 4, Korean Level 1, Chinese quite proficient passive user but learning to be active, native Bahasa Indonesia, fluent English)

Hahaha...that's long enough...

Well, I'm still on my way to becoming really proficient and fluent in those languages. I WILL and I MUST!! This is purely for my personal development. Call me crazy but hey...this is ME!:P Someone told me before that I take too many languages, that I'll get confused and in the end I won't be able to master anything. Fair enough, because that's usually the case. But come on, miracle does exist if I'm persistent enough, right? So why don't I give it a shot? I have already walked on the path and there's no turning back. I won't let all the language knowledge disappear after my graduation. Though, I don't give a damn if it happens to my core subjects and such:P. I've brainwashed myself anyway, right after my last exam period. What a shame!

Yesterday, 2 am in the morning, school's network is jammed by the numerous 'kiasu' students (especially big schools like MAE and EEE) who can't wait to see their results. Unfortunately, I was the late one, or the less 'kiasu' one I must say:P. So I can't view my results and honor through the normal channel, I had to use other channel that my friend (who is known as the 'lobang' king, ok only me call him that lar...) to access my own result.

Right after I saw those results, I can confirm that all this while, I've really enrolled in a not-so-right course. I refuse to use the word 'wrong' 'coz I found this word to be closely linked with the word 'regret'. While in fact, there's no regret at all, 'coz for me, these 4 years have been a tremendous journey of self-discovery. I did well for my language modules, better than my cores or major PEs. Gosh, what does that mean?

I can still remember the day when I first took the entrance examination four years ago. It was a disaster. I was prepared to receive a rejection email and was busy thinking about enrolling to other university back in Indo. I was thinking of going to a Hospitality major or Tourism, a compete opposite huh? Well, unfortunately, I was invited to an interview for admission and all of a sudden I'm officially an engineering undergraduate in this only-one-hour-flight-from-home neighbouring country. So, there goes my tourism and hospitality major. Why engineering? It was all because of the stereotype in the educational system, that hidden rule in the society. It says that every good science students with fabulous results in high school MUST go to Engineering. And as a result, you'll see bunch of top science students from all over the cities, gathered here. We were fighting our way to achieve that highest honor stamped on that piece of A4 paper (is it A4? I'm not sure...), the privileged few first class brilliant students.

Well, I have to say that having the highest honor is definitely not equivalent to having a great career ahead. It's just an ordinary ticket to enter the working world with hopefully a good starting salary. It is, however, only at the start...After 2/3 years, the paper is useless and people will start judging you based on other criteria, like: your working experience, your attitude, your vision of the career that you want. Nobody needs to look at that piece of paper anymore. It'll become your past. Trust me! So please don't weep over spilt milk, it's all OVER. Just remember that you've done your best these past four years and now is the time to BEGIN a new chapter once more. It's the time to think ahead, to walk towards a brighter future.

For you, my dear First Class fellows...
Congratulations, you deserve it! You're the best among the whole bunch of great people. You deserve to reap all the good things from what you sowed. Just don't be complacent and keep on aiming for the first spot. All the best!

For you, my dear Second Upper Class fellows...
Congratulations to you too! We've all fight a good battle here. We've done our very best and this is our reward. Be grateful and take it as your precious pass to enter the 'real' world out there. Good luck folks! *yeah, including me

For you, my dear Second Lower Class fellows...
Congratulations!!! You've graduated from this safe delusional world called university. You have also put on a very good fight. Be grateful and don't you dare underestimate yourself. It's not the end and who say that you can't get an equally good job/future compare to your first class fellows? Tell them to **** off and mind their own business...Hahaha...

For you, my dear Third Class fellows...
Gosh, you've made it!! What's not to celebrate here...Go and party like there's no tomorrow:p. In the end, you'll be able to find your most suitable career. Just remember to keep on trying. Don't let them see only that next-year-it-won't-matter-anymore piece of paper. Show them what you got and make them bewildered and bedazzled:P

For you, my dear Juniors...
Do remember to congratulate us! :P Just enjoy your university years and take it as your journey of self-discovery. You'll miss it like crazy once you graduated. Please consider spending your university years effectively. Go and find that part time student job during holiday, go to that work and travel program, join that club that you always admire, go and use your privilege in the Sports and Recreational Center, take the module that you really like, etc etc. Enjoy all of them before it's too late!! *hixhix...now I'm sad...

Anyway...after these heartfelt messages...I just remembered that I had my own way to celebrate this official graduation. Here are the things that I've done so far:
- Had an early celebration (early by 5 hours) by watching "Sex and The City" the movie with my friends
- Hit the gym 2 days in a row *i know, weird right...
- Pampered myself with new clothes and crazily spent arnd 120 bucks (6/7 pcs i guess). Hope my parents won't kill me...hahaha! I can hear the lil' voice in me,"You spoiled brat, still living on your folks' money and wasting $$$ for new clothes." Then the other voice says,"But...but...It's been like ages (almost 5 months) since I bought new clothes for myself..." *yeah, excuses:P
- Play volleyball again after 4-week break (plan)
- Find that first job before this month ends (hoping)
- Go back home for at least one week after I found the job (hoping)
...
...
...
...

and the list will go on and on eventually...

Alright then folks, time to shower and I'm off for now. Ciao...

Once again...CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Bisous,


-Sien-

8 comments:

Ben said...

We have graduated!!!! YAY!!!

It's really amazing that you can master so many languages. I believe that will be very useful in the future :)



Benny Ardi Pandowo, B.Eng (Hons)

hahahahah.. :P

Sien said...

Mhuahuahua...

Yey, graduated...finally!
Not yet Ben,not yet...not the master yet...I will be someday. Working on it^_^

Congratulations! We've made it through even the most hellish moments. Surely, we can also handle the 'real' world out there huh?
...
...
...
...
I wish...

Good luck!

Cheers,


Sien2

Anonymous said...

congrats sien buat bachelor's degree-nyo! akhirnya, ye, hehee

language ability kau tentunyo akan sangat bermanfaat buat kerjo nanti, =)

-meryana

Sien said...

haha...sip dhe...

Arigatou mer! kimi wa, mada nihon de benkyousuru? urayamashi nee...itsu kana?? watashi mo nihon e ikitai.

-Sien2-

Reza de Bhro said...

Selamat....



Reza Ditya Bramahendra, B.Eng (Hons)

Anonymous said...

Congrats to u, Sien.
The path of books & lecture notes ends, the beginning of a career awaits. It is still gonna be filled wif learning opportunities.
But just enjoy tis moment of transition, have a good break & be ready to do battle in ur next phase of life ya!
With Warmest Wishes~

You Siang

Sien said...

Hahaha...thanks so much YS! Yeah, I'm still looking for that 'new place' where my next learning phase begins.

Wish me luck! and all the best for your career too!!!^_^

-Sien2-

Anonymous said...

iyo sien masi di nihon. sampe bulan depan. bulan 7 atau 8 aku akan berada di spore, kalo ado waktu, asobou ne =P

-meryana