Disclaimer: Only for those who really have extra time to spare. 'Coz it's a very looooooong post... Hope you don't fall asleep along the way...:P
The next sequel of "How did I fall in LOVE?" continues now...
After my first story on "How did I fall in LOVE? -- with vball" last January, I decided to make the sequel...^_^ Kinda like making movie sequels eh? or maybe I can put together a book after this? :P.
First, let me share with you, why I decided to explain my love affairs with foreign languages in this posting. I have three major reasons:
1. I have just finished my bloody difficult language papers (HMF4 and HMJ4), so I want to clear my brain and recharge the battery for maximum three hours before I study for the next ones.
Btw, whatever results I get in the end, it won't affect my honor for bachelor degree and all my overloaded GEs won't be counted either (trying to console myself huh?:P). I was supposed to take only 9 AUs (= 3 subjects) but till now, I've accumulated 21 AUs and still waiting for another 6 AUs to be added. That means I took 9 electives subjects during my four-year in NTU (4 levels of French, 4 levels of Japanese, 1 level of Korean). Hemm, thought there is still an additional 3-AU from summer studies huh? Well nvm...
"You should go to the country where the language is spoken and stay there for at least a year. Then you'll be fluent in no time."
Yeah they were right, but will there be a job that allows me to stay in country A for a year, country B for another year and I can study the languages while working and earning $$$ there? What type of job? please tell me...Otherwise, I'd really love to continue learning French and Japanese in SG, after graduation. Though I highly doubt that I can be fluent in those languages if I'm stuck here in SG (but my Mandarin can improve *yay*).
I just don't know if I should choose either one or can I not choose at all?
Can I pursue both?
Will I have the time and determination?
Why did I study these languages in the first place?
What can I do with it?
2. Some people talk about this "unbelievable" final year girl who got "nothing" (read: nothing means all the things left to do before she leaves uni life) to do.
Despite the fact that most final years have only 2/3 modules left in the exam timetable, she still dares to take 6 modules in her last semester, look at her crazy timetable (a lot for a final year...:P)
and I just knew this afternoon that my FYP Presentation will be at 4.30 pm on the 7th of May 2008. This creates another dilemma. You see...I want to join this Japanese speech contest thing but still not sure if I can meet the submission deadline on the 8th of May. A very tight deadline huh? T_T. Obviously, my first priority is my presentation and I shall do my best!!! Ganbattene...
Some people asked me why I took so many language modules or they just gave me some brief comments like,
Wow, you're great, how can you manage all those languages?
Don't you get confused?
Among the five/six languages you know so far, which is the one you like the best?
Waa, you're a multilingual person...
Afterall, I am not as multilingual as you might think. In my opinion, a great multilinguist is the one that can switch from one language to another without any difficulty. I can do that with ease when it comes to Bahasa Indonesia, English and Mandarin, but not Japanese and French, not yet. I'm still confused with those two, I could feel it 'coz this was my first time taking two different languages in one semester. I didn't give my all 'coz fyp and core subjects are priorities. I guess I still want to continue learning outside. No matter what!
3. I need to remind myself about my initial intention for learning foreign languages, why did I have the interest of learning English, Mandarin, Japanese, French and Korean?
--> Whenever I'm in doubt, I would try to rationalize everything, even when it comes to my love affairs, there must be a reason for every action I took. But how about if the reasons themselves can't be found and explained with rationale? can someone just love doing what they do? loving the person they love? loving the language they are learning? WITHOUT any reasons at all? I have tried to rationalize my love affairs with several languages through the previous posting in January, here. BUT then again, I still can't explain the reasons WHY...Perhaps I can learn from my own history below...^_^
After the long intro above, the story started when...
I was 7/8 years old, primary school 2nd grade.
My dad started sending me to two language courses at around the same time and I was busy since then, busy with my activities at school: choir and volleyball, and english + mandarin courses after school. I finished my English lessons in one language center and continue in EF until senior high school 2nd grade. I was involved in English club and we also learned English at school. So I was more exposed to English rather than Mandarin. My English eventually became my most fluent second language.
Meanwhile, I kept on learning Mandarin, though I didn't use it much at home. I stopped only before I'm about to come here for university. The perseverance for 10 years did pay off, I can say that my Mandarin is my third language now and I still want to improve it (I'll find a way for sure...). I can listen and understand to most of the conversations, though I still feel the need of practicing my speaking skill. When learning a foreign language, the hardest process is to become an active-user, means that you are able to converse fluently and write reasonably well in that language. Listening and reading are only passive learning activities and to become a passive-user is definitely easier.
I was 16 years old, senior high school 2nd grade.
I watched this Indo movie called "Eiffel, I'm in Love" and there was this scene where the lead male actor said a few sentences (confessions) in French to the girl in front of Eiffel tower. It was so romantic and I was impressed by the sound of French language itself (though I didn't understand the meaning at that time, I just read the subtitle). After watching the movie, I was very motivated to learn the language, I looked for books and managed to ask my cousin (my uncle's daughter) to teach me the pronunciation before I left for NTU. I went to Balikpapan, the city where my dad was born (see the map here), before my first year in NTU began, so she taught me while I was there. Merci beaucoup ma belle soeur!!
Back then, when I found out that I could choose French as my general elective, I was thrilled!!! I took level 1 and 2 in my first year, level 3 in 2nd year 2nd sem, level 4 this semester. I was even more thrilled when I went to France for summer studies last year and found that I could understand what the French ppl are talking about, my broken French was useful there. I was fired up and I wanted to improve my French even more. I took level 4 once I heard it's offered this semester and later on the 28th of May, I'm going to take proficiency test (DELF B1). Bon courage!!!
My love affair with Japanese started almost around the same time as French. I'm not sure why I took a short Japanese course in my hometown. At that time, I guess we were considering the possibility of applying for scholarship to Japan and we thought we can learn some Japanese beforehand. I found that Japanese was very similar to Mandarin and I was used to memorizing the characters and kanji looked like normal chinese character for me. Later on I found out that they are actually different in a way and another. Anyway, I thought I can still manage another language, so why don't I give it a try...
As I learn and advance more, I'm thrilled to know more about the japanese culture and obviously the Japanese language itself. My NTU life wasn't as boring as it should have been because it was filled with Japanese and Korean dramas. I realized that I became used to listening to Japanese conversations and as I learn more through the electives, I can understand bits of what they are talking about without any subtitle. I have become a passive-user!!! Of course there are lotsa words that I still don't understand, but at least I have gained another language skill. I shall improve on this one too. 絶対に頑張ってね!!I want to go to Japan someday and speak in Japanese to the people there.
I was 20 years old, university 3rd year (special semester)
The first Korean module was finally offered in NTU...I was only curious about the Korean characters called "Hangul", I always saw them in the drama and have no idea what they mean or how to read them. So just to kill the time before I went for GSS in France, I took a 5-week special session learning Korean level 1. It was interesting but I think I want to improve my Japanese, French and Mandarin before I consider taking my Korean language to a higher level. I'd like to see how it goes later on.
Well folks...that was my history of falling in love with foreign languages. I still couldn't answer the Qs mentioned above, but I do know that my love affairs with foreign languages will continue and there will be no end to these affairs (whether I choose Japanese only or French only or both).
It's a lifetime learning experience.
I have fallen and there's no turning back...
Merci à vous!
-Sien2-
Can I pursue both?
Will I have the time and determination?
Why did I study these languages in the first place?
What can I do with it?
I was asking myself these Qs while preparing for both papers. Hopefully, after blogging and recalling back my intention back then (since I was a lil' girl), I'll be able to answer these.
2. Some people talk about this "unbelievable" final year girl who got "nothing" (read: nothing means all the things left to do before she leaves uni life) to do.
Despite the fact that most final years have only 2/3 modules left in the exam timetable, she still dares to take 6 modules in her last semester, look at her crazy timetable (a lot for a final year...:P)
Some people asked me why I took so many language modules or they just gave me some brief comments like,
Wow, you're great, how can you manage all those languages?
Believe me...with difficulties and guilt. 'Coz my core subjects and fyp are more important so I kinda abandon the languages for a period of time. But I don't regret taking those additional two subjects. They were an eye-opener of my true level of proficiency...
Don't you get confused?
Yes, I am now.
Among the five/six languages you know so far, which is the one you like the best?
Errrrr...I love them ALL, because each language is unique.
Waa, you're a multilingual person...
The moment I heard the word "multilingual", my brain can't stop telling me that I'm NOT that person yet, not just yet...
Afterall, I am not as multilingual as you might think. In my opinion, a great multilinguist is the one that can switch from one language to another without any difficulty. I can do that with ease when it comes to Bahasa Indonesia, English and Mandarin, but not Japanese and French, not yet. I'm still confused with those two, I could feel it 'coz this was my first time taking two different languages in one semester. I didn't give my all 'coz fyp and core subjects are priorities. I guess I still want to continue learning outside. No matter what!
3. I need to remind myself about my initial intention for learning foreign languages, why did I have the interest of learning English, Mandarin, Japanese, French and Korean?
--> Whenever I'm in doubt, I would try to rationalize everything, even when it comes to my love affairs, there must be a reason for every action I took. But how about if the reasons themselves can't be found and explained with rationale? can someone just love doing what they do? loving the person they love? loving the language they are learning? WITHOUT any reasons at all? I have tried to rationalize my love affairs with several languages through the previous posting in January, here. BUT then again, I still can't explain the reasons WHY...Perhaps I can learn from my own history below...^_^
After the long intro above, the story started when...
I was 7/8 years old, primary school 2nd grade.
My dad started sending me to two language courses at around the same time and I was busy since then, busy with my activities at school: choir and volleyball, and english + mandarin courses after school. I finished my English lessons in one language center and continue in EF until senior high school 2nd grade. I was involved in English club and we also learned English at school. So I was more exposed to English rather than Mandarin. My English eventually became my most fluent second language.
Meanwhile, I kept on learning Mandarin, though I didn't use it much at home. I stopped only before I'm about to come here for university. The perseverance for 10 years did pay off, I can say that my Mandarin is my third language now and I still want to improve it (I'll find a way for sure...). I can listen and understand to most of the conversations, though I still feel the need of practicing my speaking skill. When learning a foreign language, the hardest process is to become an active-user, means that you are able to converse fluently and write reasonably well in that language. Listening and reading are only passive learning activities and to become a passive-user is definitely easier.
I was 16 years old, senior high school 2nd grade.
I watched this Indo movie called "Eiffel, I'm in Love" and there was this scene where the lead male actor said a few sentences (confessions) in French to the girl in front of Eiffel tower. It was so romantic and I was impressed by the sound of French language itself (though I didn't understand the meaning at that time, I just read the subtitle). After watching the movie, I was very motivated to learn the language, I looked for books and managed to ask my cousin (my uncle's daughter) to teach me the pronunciation before I left for NTU. I went to Balikpapan, the city where my dad was born (see the map here), before my first year in NTU began, so she taught me while I was there. Merci beaucoup ma belle soeur!!
Back then, when I found out that I could choose French as my general elective, I was thrilled!!! I took level 1 and 2 in my first year, level 3 in 2nd year 2nd sem, level 4 this semester. I was even more thrilled when I went to France for summer studies last year and found that I could understand what the French ppl are talking about, my broken French was useful there. I was fired up and I wanted to improve my French even more. I took level 4 once I heard it's offered this semester and later on the 28th of May, I'm going to take proficiency test (DELF B1). Bon courage!!!
My love affair with Japanese started almost around the same time as French. I'm not sure why I took a short Japanese course in my hometown. At that time, I guess we were considering the possibility of applying for scholarship to Japan and we thought we can learn some Japanese beforehand. I found that Japanese was very similar to Mandarin and I was used to memorizing the characters and kanji looked like normal chinese character for me. Later on I found out that they are actually different in a way and another. Anyway, I thought I can still manage another language, so why don't I give it a try...
As I learn and advance more, I'm thrilled to know more about the japanese culture and obviously the Japanese language itself. My NTU life wasn't as boring as it should have been because it was filled with Japanese and Korean dramas. I realized that I became used to listening to Japanese conversations and as I learn more through the electives, I can understand bits of what they are talking about without any subtitle. I have become a passive-user!!! Of course there are lotsa words that I still don't understand, but at least I have gained another language skill. I shall improve on this one too. 絶対に頑張ってね!!I want to go to Japan someday and speak in Japanese to the people there.
I was 20 years old, university 3rd year (special semester)
The first Korean module was finally offered in NTU...I was only curious about the Korean characters called "Hangul", I always saw them in the drama and have no idea what they mean or how to read them. So just to kill the time before I went for GSS in France, I took a 5-week special session learning Korean level 1. It was interesting but I think I want to improve my Japanese, French and Mandarin before I consider taking my Korean language to a higher level. I'd like to see how it goes later on.
Well folks...that was my history of falling in love with foreign languages. I still couldn't answer the Qs mentioned above, but I do know that my love affairs with foreign languages will continue and there will be no end to these affairs (whether I choose Japanese only or French only or both).
It's a lifetime learning experience.
I have fallen and there's no turning back...
Merci à vous!
谢谢您!!
ありがとうございました!!
감사합니다 !!
Thanks a bunch!
Makasih ya!
-Sien2-
Time to go back to real life...4 more to go!!!
3 comments:
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Notebook, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://notebooks-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.
Hi pal...
What a good post you have here! I always admire a person with passion. Moreover it is language! I am very bad at them... tried to learn mandarin for two years before but I even didn't pass the primary level :s
Haha...hey too pal (kangdra kan?),
Thanks for leaving a comment!
Don't worry you'll find your own unique passion, once you have it...treasure it! 'coz that what makes you really 'alive' in this bloody mundane world...:P
-Sien2-
Post a Comment