Friday, December 14, 2007

What's my right fit?

Warning: very loooong post...


2:40 am 14 Dec 2007, Friday


Here I am, sitting in front of my computer, have just finished my first role as a Toastmaster of the Evening and I still feel very excited about this particular "first-time experience" that I can hardly sleep and relax my brain. What an experience! I can still hear people's comments, the speeches and even the constructive criticisms that I received. I was so thrilled that I suddenly feel the urge to update my blog and to share some of my recent experiences. Streams of ideas and words are flowing down my overloaded-brain, like it's going to explode anytime....soon...


So ten minutes ago, I decided to get up and starts writing.


Here we go...

As you might have noticed from the title above, those of you who have my msn account would have probably realized that I've put that same msn nick for almost a month now --> What's my right fit?


Yes, the "right fit" here currently refers to my right fit in terms of career, job, something that I want to pursue upon my graduation. While I am now trying, head-over-heels, to make a more significant progress in my FYP (so that hopefully I can reach the 95% completion by the end of this holiday and have a great two-week break on January^_^ 加油!), I'm also doing a "full-time" job-seeking and soul-searching attempts. So far, my attempts have led me to considering some career options like:


-a conference producer (I know the facts behind this career option, lots of hard work involved before the event, but I guess the payoff is quite a great deal, in terms of satisfaction for a job well done and also seeing happy clients walk out of the door after the event ends. Invaluable!!! *i think so*)

-a travel planner ('coz I love planning and see the smiles of satisfied customers when they think they've received an excellent service)

-an interpreter or translator (which is an extremely difficult job, i must say)

-a language teacher (maybe one of these: english/japanese/korean/chinese/french)

-a management trainee in a hotel (or recently I applied for banks too, I guess I was attracted to the word "management" and "training", which, in reality, is not a very "flowery" job either (I heard/read it somewhere, can't remember). Some stereotype and false myth do exist when ppl hear this job title: Management Trainee = you WILL become a manager someday, now, you are in your training process, what an intriguing and attractive title! *one might say*)

-a supply chain manager (this one is my last resort, so far looking at my FYP, that's the only engineering-related career option that is the most appealing for me, obviously not design or machining type of work *sigh*)

Yes, I know. I am quite a "greedy" person huh? I want this and that...endlessly...


Well, if you ask me: Why do you want to go to this completely different field? What's the use of your mechanical engineering knowledge? Don't you feel that you've wasted your four years in NTU?


I will bluntly say,"NO, I'M NOT WASTING MY TIME HERE *FOR GOODNESS SAKE*"


I didn't waste anything. I've gained a lot of new knowledge during these past 4 years of university life. I learned about leadership, presentation skill, team-building and time management. I joined sports activities, religious activities, student organization, toastmasters, etc etc. Any club that I think will help me grow into a better person, help me find my own strengths and help me in my journey of self-discovery. Apparently all the clubs that I've joined are not just "any" club, they have really played the essential roles in my self-development.


Let's take AIESEC for example (btw, I miss the chance *again* to join this year's National Leadership Development Seminar/NLDS. I've registered, but cancelled it two weeks before the D-day becoz of my fyp. OC...I'm so sorry!!T_T can't run away from FYP these past few days). I learned how to network with people through this student organization. I met lots of wonderful and enthusiastic people who have inspired me to do better and to have a positive-can-do attitude towards everything.


Now let's take another example, I recently joined Toastmasters Club (last semester) and before I join this club, I thought I really want to improve my presentation and speaking skill to a new level. Despite the fact that I joined TMC late in my final year, apparently this decision was the right one (I've shared with you my first experience taking a role in the meeting (not just a guest who listens as the speaker in the previous postings, click here to view it). I learned a bunch of new things here. I'm hoping that my fearless first attempts (both as a speaker or toastmaster of the evening a.k.a MC) for these past two months won't be taken for granted, that I can still have the drive to improve time and time again, with the sky as my limit *almost boundless yeah?*


Moreover, when you go OUT there (to the "real" world), you will have to learn again almost from zero anyway...So why do we have to hold back? why should someone only pursue a career related to their undergraduate major? Can they have wider choice based on their real interests and passion? People grow in a different rate and in a certain ways. Perhaps, the only way to discover yourself, is by trying out many different things before you finally find your right fit.


One of my friends said, "Finding the right job/career *or maybe an entrepreneurial decision* is like finding your soul-mate (whom you'll spend the rest of your life with). You have to ponder a lot of things before coming to a final decision. You'll made mistakes and several detours along the way before you finally find the right path and reach your destination"


Meanwhile, I also have something to say about my recent strength-finding attempts. It was thanks to Andy for sharing the e-book. I've finished it last week and it was an inspiring one. Now, I can point out my *possibly* top five themes/strengths:

1. Analytical
2. Arranger
3. Connectedness
4. Focus
5. Responsibility

(And I feel like I have the "Achiever" and "Learner" themes too)


Considering that I didn't take the full test (not just yet), these five strengths are purely from my own observation and analysis of my ownself ^_^ haha...

Check this website to find out about more themes.


It's now 4.34 am, 14 December 2007, Friday

I guess I have written down all I want to say for now. Time to SLEEP!! I have a vball match tomorrow. I'd better rest now!!

Huff, what a relief...=D


-Sien2-

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"Finding the right job/career *or maybe an entrepreneurial decision* is like finding your soul-mate (whom you'll spend the rest of your life with). You have to ponder a lot of things before coming to a final decision."

My question to you would be, "what's is the right job/career?". I won't be agreeable if a career is like a soul-mate whom you'll spend the rest of your life with. In fact, there won't be ONE final decision but MANY. People changing jobs or career direction is a common phenomena. One thing that they can't change, though, which is their skills/experience that come along with the careers they had in the past.

Sien said...

Dear Made,

That's true enough. I noticed that nowadays people do have several jobs before they can consider that ONE "ultimate" career (it can be SEVERAL if you like a lot of things) that can make them feel fulfilled, satisfied...(just like when one finally found his/her soul-mate?)

Eventually and ideally, this particular one is the career/thing that you want to do for the rest of your life, isn't it?

So I'm not saying that we should be very certain about ONE careerpath, 'coz we don't know yet...

Am I contradicting myself?

hahaha...

In a simple sentence --> "Don't be afraid to explore everything"

There's a continuation to the quote..

"...You'll made mistakes and several detours along the way before you finally find the right path and reach your destination"

I was interpreting what my friend said...it's quite intriguing eh? hahaha...

-Sien2-
still pondering