Monday, September 22, 2008

I have another chance

*too many typos previously, edited...
We, as the imperfect human beings, have to sometimes look back on the past to be able to move on to a brighter future. Being stuck in the past is obviously not a wise choice, but we can learn from our past mistakes, plans, decisions and re-evaluate those to craft our new direction for the future. I am doing exactly that these past two weeks. After re-evaluating the previous plan (click here for the relevant post, as Mel's said in the comment, being flexible is the key...you'll never know unless you try. Thanks Mel...^_^)

So here's the deal from my previous plan,

1st Option
I plan to work in a multinational company and enter their supply chain/logistics department. I have attended several recruitment talks and submitted my resume to certain companies. My specialization is in Systems Management and so I felt that I have special interest in this type of industry.
So this is my game plan now, since I had the basic experience from FYP and the qualification to do supply chain related job, I'll give this one again, another shot. Despite the fact that I see myself as more of a generalist and believe that I can do whatever it is that I wish to do as long as I put my heart and soul into it, I found that it's extremely important to have an expertise in something. I decided to play up to my strengths and do something in which I can learn the rope faster. I've learned the tricks to pick things up in fast-paced working world now: ask lots of questions and be persistent! Long working hours is inevitable, so you gotta endure it!! I'm also aware that most companies hiring for procurement, logistics, or supply chain jobs require more experienced people rather than just people with high qualifications. Hope my luck and C.V. writing skill will come to play and be useful for this one!^_^

2nd Option
I plan to enter event/conference/exhibition industry and work as a conference planner. I love to organize things and I had some related experiences in these past four years. I want to try out working as a professional event/conference planner, get to know how things work in this industry. I simply love the feeling of satisfaction after successfully accomplishing a project. I also submitted my resume to one of the conference planning companies in Singapore (visited them in NTU Career Fair several days ago)
Tried and tested. The huge stress and uncertainties turned me off. I immediately realized that I'm still that risk-averse person who can't take changes that easily, my personality is ISTJ (explained here) and I'd like to embrace it instead of running away with denial of what I am by nature. And then, when you want to find out which career is your right fit, you can't make the correct assumptions everytime unless:
1. You're in it and try it yourself
2. You have someone there who can guide you through on what it takes to do well in that specific industry
3. You have had previous experience in that industry itself: part time, internships, temp work, etc etc
So I tried the first path and found out the truths...No regret, coz' I gained invaluable knowledge and new skills (coldcalling, copywriting and how to pick things up faster when you're a newbie). I shall treasure them!!!!

3rd Option
It is quite a different path and I am largely influenced by the accomplishment of Merry Riana (if you’ve heard about her before, if you haven’t you can Google and find her name). It is not easy for someone to bravely decide on working in the insurance (financial planning) line upon graduation. There are so many negative perspectives from the society and financial uncertainties if one decides to pursue this career. I was one of the negative-minded people before I read her book. She is a living proof that all of us can be successful (and rich) at young age; anything is possible if we put our heart and effort into it (in whatever it is that you’re doing). I am still not very certain about this option, although I know that I can be debt-free relatively faster if I put my heart and soul into this career (who knows?). I am in a 40k-debt upon graduation and I really don’t wish to burden my parents anymore.
If you've ever been in the financial planning industry and insurance, you know that you have to pass the three financial advisory tests to obtain the license and give advice about other people's financial plan. I've always assumed that a financial planner knows best about what they have to do for their OWN financial life first before advising others. So I took a chance. Apparently, at this moment, my interest and focus are not there yet, how can I advise on others' financial plans when I, myself, don't even know what to do next to pay the bills??? So I decided to postpone this matter until I'm ready with the right intention and mind to enter this (part time or full time). Earning $$$ is not the only intention if you want to be a good financial advisor. You have to have that other drive for this career. So, I'm scraping this option for this moment^_^

I shall expand my wings after I have stable experience and build credibilities in the field of my expertise. For this moment, I'll save my other interests (languages, editing, writing, teaching) at the back of my mind and we'll see where my destiny leads me to, for the next 3 years (working-bond-and-pay-back-loan period) to come...

Sien....JIAYOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Bises,


-Sien-
PS: I'm officially a tourist in SG:P, 2-month social visit pass to look for job, pending PR application until I report about the new employment, deadline: 19 NOVEMBER 2008. So there shouldn't be any problem, I hope (fingers crossed):D

No comments: