Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Lessons Learned - Nothing but the Truths

Disclaimer: because this is my blog, I have the right to talk about myself and be totally indifferent about what others think. Peace!!^_^

Oh gosh, I sounded like a whiner in my last post, don't you think?

I have long decided not to become a complainer or a whiner, 'coz I don't wanna see myself as an annoying person. I hated whiner in the first place, so my mental note was "I shouldn't be one". But what an irony, I started becoming the person whom I'd hate. I have to stop this nonsense.

First, since I want to return to my old positive-thinking self and set a realistic pace for work, I decided to think through all the things I've learned at work so far (in this one month stint + 2-day negotiation skill training, in which I was pampered with heavenly food and suffered overdoze of cappuccinos) and write all of them down.

Lessons learned:

1. The process of producing a conference

Heaps of steps, deadlines, procedures and the work just seem to never end. From topic generation, validating topic, identifying potential market, copywriting for marketing and etc etc etc. And the best part is, I must learn all of these on the run or we usually call it, on-the-job training. Like what I had these past two days (Monday and Tuesday), a negotiation skill training course. It was extremely an invaluable experience and I learned more about myself, communication style, tendency, weaknesses and abilities.
Some of the enlightenments are:

- The fact that I have a Socializing Thinker type as my communication style (check out this link)


The Thinker
• Thinkers are technical and systematic. They value logic, thoroughness, and precision.
• Thinkers tend to focus on facts and technical details while communicating.
• Thinkers have a methodical way of approaching problems and tasks, and work well independently.
• Thinkers are detail-oriented, accurate, and always have the best PowerPoint presentations. However, they may sometimes become overwhelmed by the details and lose track of the big picture.
• Thinkers are uncomfortable with conflict, and feel that facts should take precedence over emotion.
• Thinkers need time to adjust to change.

How to communicate with a Thinker:
• Present your ideas in a logical fashion, and back them up with lots of facts and proof.
• Try not to rush a Thinker during a conversation or in her/his work.
• To help Thinkers cope with change, focus on the reasons that made it necessary, and the individual steps needed to achieve it.
• If you're the boss, encourage the Thinkers on your staff to share their ideas, since they tend to be quiet and reserved during group sessions.

- The fact that I wasn't in a good mood (for reasons that I can barely explained) in this 2-day training didn't help at all. I haven't been very proactive and initiative like I should've. I was too quiet but eventually managed to pull off all the negotiation case studies and learned valuable lessons.

- I found that *this is my habit and I do realize it* I'm not answering questions that were asked most of the time. You know why? People usually don't understand my answers 'coz I tend to foresee the consecutive Q that they want to ask and answer that issue instead. So in a way, I don't answer the Q for what it is, I guess on the implicit meaning behind it. I wasn't being straightforward and think ahead too much. I need to be more direct and more flexible in listening and following up with what the other party says.

- I also realized that I am not very articulate yet. What's wrong with my English? Why can't I say something with no repeated words or grammatical errors in it? I seriously need to bring my language and communication skill up to par. Or if not, I'll be "cooked" :P

- One more thing, I need to express my opinions more than I used to, not afraid to make mistakes and show that I've been putting substantial effort to excel in this area. I won't be defeated by external issues like turnover rate, company structure and etc.

2. Need a serious work on phone skill, networking and doing-small-talk

Because these are what my work is all about, I need to work on this. Overcoming my inner fears. My lack of experience in coldcalling and the uncomfortable feeling I have each time I have to talk to strangers on the phone have made me lose control over my own fears. Relying so much on the person's tone and figuring out if they're interested or listening to what I said, can be an excruciating process. It happened to me last two weeks, I was so afraid that I kept on saying,

"Wait, I didn't prepare well.
Where's my script? I need more time.
I haven't had my contact list ready to go....
blablabla"

The long list of excuses were made just to avoid calling people and procrastinate. I wish I hadn't done something this stupid. Having the right phone skill to gain contacts and build rapport are the valuable lessons I need to gradually learn in this job. Now, I'm ready to just face it and be courageous!

3. I've been belittling myself and it is NOT good.

Everyone is so respectful and understands that I am new to these whole process. They have been nothing but helpful to me. The problems are truly from myself. I guess I was the one belittling myself and use i'm-a-newbie excuse to make sense of all the things I've done. I abandoned my abilities and jeopardized my own development. I am so ashamed to admit it, but it's true. I need to change this quickly or else I won't be able to pick things up faster and complete my deadlines.

Maybe, all I need right now is someone to pat me on the back and say,

"Sien, you can do it! Don't belittle yourself! You can do great things coz' you have this and this and that.......
*start listing down my good qualities*

After that, I would have become more confident and happier in doing this new job. Perhaps, the person to pat me on the back must be ME, 'coz your own self is sometimes the best advisor that you can have. Though it's best to have other's perspective and opinion, your own mind is still the greatest asset that you must respect, control and treasure. This is the reason why I'm a socializing thinker:P.

Anyway, I guess I've covered the most important points of my learning journey. I still have a long list of learning points written at the back of my book, but I think these will do for now. Thanks for reading my another long-winded blabbering.

Have a great day everyone!!

Bises,


Sien

No comments: