Friday, August 1, 2008

The first "bloody" month...

Yeah folks, it really feels like ages since the last time I wrote down my thoughts, and
Yeah, it was a bloody month, and I mean it in both good and bad ways...

July 2008 was officially one of the most hectic moments I've experienced to date.

Just imagine, coming into your first day, into THE unknown world, out from my safe shell called "educational institutions". My comfortable and familiar shelter for these past 16 years, in which I know what works out and what doesn't, what's right and wrong, what not to do and what I should do. It was all smooth and easy 'coz I know the game well. And now, what happen?

On the first day of the month, exactly one month ago, I'm finally (or unfortunately???) out there, like everyone else, struggling through day-by-day to make all ends meet. Going through another learning phase to recognize, analyze and play the game.

What are the hidden rules?
What are the things I need to pick up?
What are the right things to do?
How do I learn this?
Can I do this?
Did I pick the right first job?
What are the hidden facts that I just found out? dumbstrucking news?
How emotionally strong am I?
Can I play this game well? In this totally new field that I assumed I'd love to be in.

Yeah, these are just some of the billion questions and doubts I had in mind during my first week. This job is not the usual path for a fresh grad with engineering background like me. I mean, you know the deal in this stereotyping world. People will say,"Ouw, if you have an engineering degree, just become an engineer straight after your graduation. Don't waste your degree!". At least that was the first reaction of most people when I ask them if the first job really depends on your major in university. Ah well never mind, I've explained my rationale in my previous posts anyway.

So, back to my first week at work, only one word, "frustrating". There were so many things to learn, so many deadlines to meet, and I was almost breaking down with low self-esteem. But luckily I came to the right state of mind at the end of my 2nd week, after my first vball game outside, after clearing my mind from all the negative thoughts, I started to take control of all the thoughts that came into my mind. Our mind can really play tricks to ourselves. I've done quite a decent job recently, controlling my own mind from thinking about nonsensical negative things.

After I passed those critical two weeks, I started to pick things up slowly. I stopped thinking of giving up and be responsible over my own decision. Afterall, if I really put the effort to understand this game, I won't have nothing to lose. In fact, I have a lot more skills to gain. All I wanna do now is just to make sure that I stay humble, keep my mind open to any critics and do my very best without sacrificing too much of my spirit. I hope I won't suck away my own life for being too absorbed by work *though I should, if I want to pick things up faster*. However, there are certain things that I can't compromise. I'd like to have my life, career, social life, sport and family blend in well together. Still having the time to exercise and do my fave past-time activities are the greatest gifts that I can give to myself.

If it happened, it happened. So be it!

Persistence is forever the key to success. I solemnly swear that
I can get over all my fears in doing this job and be very familiar with the game in no time
-Sien-Sien-

That's about it folks. I'll be off to Pulau Ubin this Sunday with my new colleagues. They are all so fun and helpful. Hope all of us (and you) have a blissful weekend!

Cheers,


Sien
PS: received my first pay slip yesterday :P yay yay yay^_^

No comments: