Fiuuuh...
Finally,
I finished the draft for that "F" acronym, lack of sleep for 3 nitez in a row, and alas, I woke up at 11 am this morning (or almost noon). But I woke up happily after finally submitted my draft for revision (surely there'll be changes here and there, but at least I won't have to worry about that in the next two weeks...yay yay yay^_^)
This week, in general, is really a FU**ED UP week, no volleyball, only did that "F" acronym, and I'm sick of hearing people, especially juniors, asking me the exact same questions. Now I know why my seniors gave me that reluctant smile and refused to answer the Q when I accidentally asked them about "F". It's a karma, hahaha...a vicious cycle...
Truth be told, it's not that we dislike doing it. We must do it no matter what, no excuses...in fact I like doing my "F", I chose it myself and I have interest on the topic, some problems (of course!) along the way, but I could still pull it off, did my very best and all that. Thus, our days are already filled up with doing this "F" and those other school stuff. So it'll be nice if everyone will just stop mentioning it right in front of my face.
My reaction:
"I know what I'm doing so thank you for asking...I'm doing fine. Can we switch to another topic? Don't discuss it unless I, myself bring it up to the table? Deal?"
Finally,
I have 80% decided on my "most probable" cups of tea. Since right after I posted my previous entry, one of my friends ask me this simple yet difficult to answer question.
"Sooo, what's your cup of tea?"
Banggg...like a smack on the head, this Q sticked with me these past 10 days. I'll leave the answer later at the end of this entry.
To answer that,
I asked these questions to some of my friends last week:
How do (or how did) you know what you'll like doing? (things like: your future/current job, field, or hobby)
Do (or did) you assume that you'll like it although you never really jump into that type of job/field/activity?
Will you just go along with your assumptions despite the fact that you have no prior exposure to that job/field/activity?
And they answered me with these...
Maybe when I feel an enjoyment/excitement while doing it.
Yeah, sometimes you just need to follow your own gut feeling.
Yeah, go for it, try it first and discover more whether you truly like it or not.
I know what I like doing when I would sacrifice other things to do it. When its opportunity cost is relatively high.
I will assume to a certain extent based on whatever experience I have before, I should be able to roughly judge whether I will like it or not.
Well, I got some general answers here. How about you? can you give me specific examples from your own experience? Your comments will be GREATLY appreciated...Sharing is Caring ^_^
Continue on...
To find the answer to the question "What's your cup ot tea?", I've done a bit of research about the difference between the things that you're GOOD AT and that you're ENJOY DOING.
According to some career/self-development books I read, sometimes the things that you're good at are not the ones that you like doing. It is highly recommended that one goes for something that they like doing (truly enjoy doing) rather than the ones they're good at.
It's best if you can MARRY the two of them. You LIKE WHAT YOU DO and then you'll eventually become VERY GOOD AT it (because that strong passion makes you practice more and harder)
For example: I'm good at Maths and dealing with meticulous things but I don't like an accounting job (though there are a lot of maths, calculations and meticulous complicated things).
Thus, it's always best to go for what you like, rather than what you're good at. That was the moral of the story that I got from reading those books.
NOW, I realized that I have interests in:
-logistics
-conference planning
-hospitality (hotel or travel agency)
-editing job
-career consulting
-translator job (for this, I'll foresee in the next five years, let's see how...^_^)
All these options came out because I found that
I'm good at:
-organizing things
-thinking about sequence or order (structurized manner)
-linking up many different things
-thinking strategically beyond the things visible
-conveying ideas with words
-writing reports
-[developing] verbal one-on-one or group communication skill as well as public speaking
-[developing] languages (can switch from one language to another with less difficulty)
-[developing] marketing and negotiating skill
-...
-...
-...
-...
etc etc etc
I like doing or I have interest in:
-understanding the meaning of song lyrics (esp. chinese and japanese songs)
-writing essay/story/anything about career and self development
-owning a travel agency and language center
-learning foreign languages
-reading books
-managing facilities or resources
-staying at home, rather than going out in a busy and crowded place
-visiting other countries (traveling)
-learning how to invest (but I haven't taken that first baby step...*sigh*, must be daring!)
Again, do you see the moral of the story here?
The list of things that you're good at can become longer along the way as long as you never stop learning, developing new skills and challeging yourself (never put limitation on yourself).
On the contrary, the list of things that interest you may never grow as long as the first list because everyone is unique in their own likings and interests. Once you dislike or has no interest on something, you'll never pursue it, let alone trying to be good at it...
It is totally fine if you have interest on pursuing a career/interest other than what you study at school or what you are familiar with. We must treasure our rights to choose what's best and 'own' our own life.
Finally,
I gave up trying to give small hints, let me just admire you from afar, OK? *don't discuss!*
FOLKS,
ENJOY YOUR LIFE, YOUR JOB, YOUR STUDY, YOUR HOLIDAY OR WHATEVER IT IS. LIVE IT AND BE HAPPY!
Je t'embrasse,
-Sien-
No comments:
Post a Comment