Monday, October 13, 2008

Every cloud has a silver lining - How to find the line?

Finally...

After sending out dozens of resumes this past one month, I received 2 interview invitations last two weeks. Scored well for those two: 1 invitation for next round of interview, 1 job offer right after the interview. It was exhilarating and it goes to prove that art of 'lying' to yourself is the most essential technique to master, especially for job interviews.

Now, how do you find the silver lining in the midst of frustrating days as a job hunter?

1. Make sure you understand the job-hunting game and your target industry
Resume is to win the interview, interview is to win the job offer. Don't rely solely upon your resume to impress the hiring manager in an interview. The HR manager has already screened your resume during the first stage and resume itself can't speak on your behalf during the job interview. It is up to YOU to start convincing yourself how badly you want the job, why you want it, why you think that you're the most suitable candidate, what strengths/experience that you can bring to the table if you are being offered the job. Reading the job responsibilities a zillion times could also help yourself in the interview preparation. You must learn how to convince yourself before you can upsell yourself in an interview. I call it "the art of lying to yourself". For resume writing and interview tips, you can find tons of them on the net, just Google it:P

2. How do you know that this is what you want?
The answer is: We don't. Most of us (usually fresh graduates who're entering the real working-world for the first time) don't really know what we truly want from a job, until we TRY it ourselves. Our wants are mostly crafted from our own assumptions: I think I'll love doing this, I'll hate that, I can't do that, I don't think I'm suitable for this job, and billion other assumptions that can't be right all the time. The best that we can do is to gather as much information as we can from the people within the industry. Try to fork out the truths or maybe do a part-time job during your school holiday to get the 'feel' of being in the industry. If you don't bother doing these, then heck, use the trial-and-error method: if you're lucky, you'll love it anyway; if not, you can choose to endure and bear with it for as long as you can; or use your last reserve-quit and find new one. Find the ones with the highest chance of you scoring the job offer, the one that suit your qualifications and strengths (even though you think you've chosen the wrong course in the first place) and with reasonable compensation. Our priorities can change along the way as we grow up and who knows you'll find the right one for you eventually.

I've been holding on to these two beliefs this past one month and thank goodness, it worked out just fine. I've signed the offer today and currently mastering "the art of lying to myself - believing that I can do the new job well and that I'll love it eventually"

In my transition time, I've looked for inspirations from various sources:

1. Read books

2. Read blogs
I was also dumb-founded by this article, Bad career advice - Do what you love, it definitely struck the sense out of me...

3. Write blog posts (10 posts filed under Sien's Ugly Pasts:P)

4. Chat and complain to friends via msn
(thanks for all your encouragement guys, really appreciate it^_^)

5. Catch up with friends through Friday outings ^_^

Unfortunately, after the long wait, I have another chance to do things right and I'll do my very best to endure and learn as much as I can. Change of paradigm and attitude is what I really need NOW...Hopefully, I'll be ready by this Thursday to embrace adult working-life for the 'first' time once again!!!

Good luck...Sien...


Je t'embrasse,


-Sien-

No comments: